Friday, September 10, 2010

Tuesday - 9/7/2010 - The day after Labor Day and no kids

 Well, we got a late start this morning(1 hour) - I blamed Vicki; Vicki said said she was waiting for me. Oh Well. We stopped at Starbucks on the way out of town, had our requisite lattes and pastries, and were on the thruway at 8 am. Non-eventful drive, lots of traffic. We stopped to get gas in Massachusetts and when we were finished and walking to the car, Vicki told me to look around. What did I see? Little dogs on leashes, lots of RV's and travel trailers, very few children, white hair- Oh My God!! We are traveling with OLD people!!! Does that make us old? In the words of both my mother and my brother, "You are only as old as you act." What does that mean? We are traveling at the same time as these other people. I have white hair. (Vicki has never had white hair, but that's genetic from her Mom) But Vicki and I don't look as old as these other travelers, that of course being our own perception. Are we not old, and are all of these people around us also not old? We have to think about this and give you our answer later.

Met Charles, San, and Jasper (their rescued dog) in Georgetown, Maine. They were camping for two days. Charles has my old 2-man tent and camping gear, sleeping bags from Don & Allison, and even some some old stuff from my Mom and Dad. They were having the best time..San's first visit to Maine, loving it, and Charles' upteenth time and STILL loving it! Maine, being our family's all time favorite place on earth to visit, play, swim, play tennis, etc.. Lots and lots of wonderful memories, including bringing both our Moms here with us on a couple of occasions. Kids, in-laws, intendeds and bring along friends, all make for an adventure and boy have we had them AND, wouln't change a minute of it! Anyway, Charles and San had a great camp site in the woods. Dinner the first night was chicken over a campfire. Breakfast was gourmet SOS using a hiking stove, and for lunch they found a quaint country store that made up delicious lobster rolls and they said that they thoroughly enjoyed every tiny morsel, with desert being Maine home grown blueberry ice cream!. We met them at their campsite, got the guided tour, and went to "Taste of Maine" for dinner. Three Shore platters and a single lobster. Shore platters consisted of a whole boiled lobster, 1/2 dozen boiled shrimp, a dozen long neck clams, caesar salad, corn-on-the-cob, and strawberry shortcake. I had to give most of my meal to Vicki because she was so hungry - NOT!! I sucked every straw leg, spooned out the tamaly (sp?), hand cracked the claws and tail, and washed it all down with two local red lobster beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment